[kictanet] my take: IG Discussion 2009, Day 6 of 10

Victor Gathara v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk
Tue May 5 11:47:01 EAT 2009

Its only when we have something valuable exposed that we move to secure
it. I think that the move toward securing the Kenyan netspace will only
take off once we have important content online such as financial
history, credit card information, address information and so on. This
requires legislation. The FOI act should be speeded up to 'force'
government to avail data online. The recently signed (then unsigned?)
law on communications has some enabling legislation for e-commerce. Not
sure it takes into account security but government should be clear on
who the onus to secure data on one's network is. I think more a problem
for industry players than 'Wanjiku'...If you create a site where you
require my credit card details then by all means you should take the
blow if someone steals the info and misuses my card!

Victor