[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 7 of 10 - Data and Infrastructure Security

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Tue May 5 02:52:24 EAT 2009

Good morning!

Today we continue our discussions on cybersecurity specifically data and
infrastructure security.

It now not uncommon to hear about cyber terrorism, cyber crime, cyber
attacks, Information Warfare, etc.  Recent examples of cyber attacks in
Estonia and Georgia show that the Internet offers an inexpensive and easy
weapon of modern warfare.

Fortunately, we as a country may not have yet experienced critical security
threats possibly because majority of users/organizations have access to
‘less than broadband speeds’ thus providing no incentive for meaningful
exploits.  This presents a situation where low usage and poor connectivity
has acted as our “security”.

However, with the growing use of the Internet, encouraged by the
availability broadband connections locally, nationally (Fibre optic national
project, operator networks) and internationally (TEAMS, SEACOM), the number
of incidences of online security breaches are set to increase.

Thank you Harry Delano (email 29th April) for raising the following
important questions for our discussion today.

   - What is our level of cybersecurity preparedness (as government,
   operator, service providers, private sector organizations and educational
   institutions)?
   - Have we made an assessment of our cybersecurity preparedness levels, to
   date, particularly with the impending landing of international submarine
   fibre optic cable?
   - What is needed to protect our data and infrastructure from increased
   threats and at what cost?

Regards
Mwende