[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 6 of 10

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Tue May 5 01:42:42 EAT 2009

Thank you, Evans and Judy for your contributions to today’s discussion.

Privacy is usually not a concern until one encounters an infringement.

For example theft and misuse of personal information held the government,
your bank, school, employer, local supermarket, etc may result in irritating
phone calls/emails from a telemarketing agents who have gained access to
your shopping patterns through loyalty cards or a surprise phone call from a
long lost friend who has just seen your photo in an online version of
‘fashion police’J!

Unfortunately, most citizens do not have the time or money to start legal
proceedings in this regard.  Consequently, ‘social engineering’ has been
proposed as the best method to overcome the challenges associated with
infringement of privacy.  This involves exercising your right to opt-in or
out, carefully reading privacy policies and end user agreements.

Further discussion on this topic is most welcome!

Kind regards
Mwende

*Disclaimer: Views expressed here are the author’s own*