[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 6 of 10

Evans Kahuthu ifani.kinos at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:53:30 EAT 2009

The purpose of Information Security/Cybersecurity is to protect an
organizations's valuable resources, such as information, hardware and
software. Through the selection and application of appropriate safeguards,
Information Security helps the organization's mission by protectiing its
physical and financial resources, reputation, legal position, employees, and
other tangible and intangible assets.
The issue of cybersecurity/Information security simply comes down to three
things: 1) Confidentiality, 2) Integrity and Availability.
Information Security management/cybersecurity entails the identification of
an organisation's information assets and developemt, documentation, and
implementation of policies, standards, procedures and guidelines, which
ensure their Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability.
Unfortunately, cybersecurity is sometimes viewed as hindering the mission of
the organisation by impossing poorly selected bothersome rules and
procedures on users, managers and systems. On the contrary, if well
implemented, Cybersecurity rules and procedures can support the overall
organisational mission.
In the case of Kenya, the way to create a culture of cybersecurity is
through management tools such as data classification, security awareness
traininig, risk assesment and risk analysis in order to identify threats,
classify assets, and rate their vulnerabilities so that effective security
controls can be implemented.

Regards,
Evans