[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 6 of 10

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Mon May 4 08:59:47 EAT 2009

Good morning,

The focus of our discussion this week is on cybersecurity and trust.  We
will seek to address privacy and data security issues.

Like many other Kenyans, we frequently register to use various online
services provided by the government and businesses.  The registration
process requires that we provide personal information including physical,
postal address, telephone numbers, credit card numbers, etc.  The younger
generation and the young-at-heart are readily sharing “personally
identifiable information” including photos and events through social
networking sites including facebook, youtube, myspace, flickr, twitter,
etc.

Personal information collected and made available in the public domain such
as the electoral register, telephone directory can be combined with
information for example from  supermarkets loyalty cards to create valuable
market information  to  track individual preferences and purchase profiles.
This information may unfortunately be subject to abuse and theft.
 Consequently, ‘trust’ in policies and the security measures that the
government and businesses establish to protect user information is therefore
an essential element for the success of e-transactions (both e-government
and e-commerce)

   - How can we create a cyber security culture in Kenya? What is the role
   of the educators, peers and parents in digital literacy with respect to
   privacy and security?
   - Does the current legal environment provide for the protection of
   privacy on the internet?  How can we establish a balance between security
   and right to privacy?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Mwende