[kictanet] Day 12 of 12 -- BPO Discussions, Wrapping Up

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Wed Jun 17 07:33:11 EAT 2009

Thought I should share what I gathered when I visited Rwanda in March following the point raised by Eric here below (someone who knows more could inform the debate)

An excerpt "Major institutional reforms are currently taking place in Rwanda with consolidation of a number of government institutions under umbrella agencies within related sectors. This is expected to allow for better harmonization of efforts and efficient use of resources while providing a one-stop centre for investors and coordination of development efforts. In the ICT sector, the Rwanda IT Authority (RITA) has been brought under one umbrella body (Rwanda Development Board - RDB) along with complimentary agencies to facilitate business and a good climate for investors. The agencies under this umbrella body (RDB), in addition to ICTs, deal with investments, tourism promotion, institutional and human resource capacity development, privatization of state assets, business registration and environmental impact assessment and management. The Rwanda Development Board is governed by a council/board and reports to the President unlike in the past when individual agencies reported to a line Minister. Plans are also underway to transform the national referral hospital, King Fasal Hospital, into a state-of-the-art Biomedical Research Centre"

Edith