[kictanet] Day 10/11 of 12- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Catherine Adeya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 17:36:34 EAT 2009

 A great way to begin the discussions so far is
from Victor who quoted a wise man who once said "if you stop to kick at
every dog that barks at you, you couldn't get very far". He said that rather
than get discouraged and try to win over the nay-sayers, the BPO industry should
view this as a challenge to prove them wrong while laughing all the way to the
bank, a la Vodaphone/SafariCom. Victor, how apt. I take this opportunity to
thank all the contributors so far on this theme include Dr. Ndemo, Alice,
Victor, Sam, Wainana and Eric.

Alice has
suggested that we should consider the just landed TEAMs cable as one of our
strengths and niche areas. Meanwhile, Dr Ndemo is concerned that our greatness
weakness is negativity. We Kenyans rarely see the good in anything. He noted
that we see competitors as enemies instead of embracing them and working for
the country.  And we will not go far unless we rid of ourselves of this
and we should be careful as foreigners also capitalize on these differences.
How apt again! Eric agrees with him that ATTITUDES are our KILLER APP.

Wainaina adds
that the key lies in our BPO branding which should be part of a national
branding effort. He challenged our media to stop feeding the stereotypes like
the 'mungiki' image
of Kenya; or the notion that we are helplessly corrupt. He suggests that we
must communicate a message like PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN brand that has diverted
many opportunities their way inspite of their crime levels. Again how apt! And
dare I add that we should strive to wash our dirty linen at home and not in
public….

Sam Aguyo, your knowledge of the
Indians is certainly useful as there are some things a research study may not
glean well hence the difficulty with clearly identifying India’s niche area.
Thanks for the contribution on the niche areas for Kenya including accountants,
engineers etc, though I believe ‘researchers’ is too general and needs to be
qualified if we really want to identify a niche. He notes auditing firms and
research firms have been outsourcing for a long time. I encourage you to read
his whole input, insightful indeed.

So as we wind up this Sunday and
after a great week, with a favourable budget for the ICT industry, landing of
the TEAMs cable…I would like to encourage you all to continue the discussions
on this theme tomorrow Monday 15th June especially fleshing out the
niche areas for Kenya amidst our strengths and weaknesses.

If you do not see me online tomorrow
for a little while (like the way I disappeared on Saturday), I am very much
with you just blame it on my Safcom Bamba…it has a tendency to serve me well
sometimes but equally to frustrate me when it matters most.

Nyaki