[kictanet] Day 10 of 10- BPO Discussions, Strengths and Weaknesses (Observations from USA and UK); and Trends and Niches

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Sat Jun 13 23:54:25 EAT 2009

Eric,

The reason a Kenyan company wouldn't trust a call centre in Nigeria
has more to do with attitudes and stereotypes - some unfounded - than
with capacity. Before closing a deal, you'd notice a higher level of
due diligence.

Our BPO branding exercise must therefore become part of a wider
national branding effort. This issue arose at the onset of these
discussions. Media and others must ensure a positive projection of
Kenya as a nation and that of our BPO sector.

Our media must stop feeding the stereotypes like the 'mungiki' image
of Kenya; or the notion that we are a helplessly corrupt lot. A new
message must be communicate just like the PROUDLY SOUTHAFRICAN brand
that has diverted many opportunities southwards inspite of the crime
levels in Jo'berg.

Wainaina

On 6/14/09, emko at internetresearch.com.gh <emko at internetresearch.com.gh> wrote:
> [...]
>>> background
>>> checks; and investors have single window clearance for License
>>> application. South Africa on the other hand also has
>>> clear government championship for the BPO sector evidenced by the fact
>>> that
>>> investors and potential vendors are wooed from the Office of the
>>> President.
>>> There is also commitment to regulatory changes when required. There is
>>> an
>>> effective marketing strategy
>>> (target marketing and perception management), which has made many in the
>>> world
>>> perceive South Africa to be politically and economically stable. There
>>> is world class connectivity; S. Africa has 10 international airports, an
>>> excellent road and railway network.
>>>
>>> Mauritiusstrengths include good ratings from the
>>> World Bank ‘Doing Business Indicators’ which ranks the country at
>>> position 24
>>> for favourable investment climate and number 11 for protecting investors
>>> and 7
>>> for starting a business. In addition, it is a multilingual country (with
>>> two
>>> European languages) so it is an attractive destination for both English
>>> and French
>>> speaking clients. Some of the key strengths that make Kenya a choice
>>> destination for outsourcing is that it is a good
>>> place to work and holiday (temperate weather and beautiful country).
>>> Indeed,
>>> many senior people working for bilateral or international organizations
>>> have
>>> preferred to live in Kenya after the end of their contracts. Kenya also
>>> has
>>> government championship of the BPO industry. The country is
>>> strategically
>>> located and a regional hub for communications and finance. Kenyans
>>> generally
>>> have a good English accent for English speaking clients.
>>>
>>> Weaknesses were also
>>> assessed in all four countries.  In India, for example, there has/was an
>>> international backlash due to security breaches that made some companies
>>> pulled
>>> out of India. There is also the issue of high cost of electricity.
>>> Another
>>> factor is the heavy Indian accent which has resulted in poor customer
>>> experience especially for call centre work for international clients. In
>>> S. Africa the cost of operation is still high compared to other
>>> outsourcing
>>> destinations. Also, even though there are BPO specific incentives,
>>> investors are yet to take advantage of these because of the strict
>>> qualification criteria.
>>>
>>> In Mauritius some of the weaknesses
>>> highlighted were the negative perception of
>>> working in 24/7 environment and many Mauritians cannot imagine working
>>> night. Secondly, Internet and mobile communication tariffs are still
>>> high
>>> despite liberalization and presence of the submarine cable. Finally, in
>>> Kenya, I will emphasize a little more,
>>> there is a perception in client countries thatKenya is not politically
>>> stable.  It also appears that Kenya lacks an effective marketing
>>> strategy.
>>> Some believe that Kenya is sending the
>>> wrong people to woo investors. There is lack of coordination and
>>> perceived
>>> ‘bad
>>> blood’ between some of the key institutions and groups that represent
>>> this
>>> industry; this is also evident to client countries like in the UK. This
>>> is
>>> not
>>> helped with the soaring electricity costs combined with
>>> the high amount of power outages which has made the cost of doing
>>> business
>>> very
>>> high as companies have to invest in generators.Of course, the state of
>>> the
>>> road infrastructure is wanting and the
>>> issue of constant traffic jams causing loss of productive time.
>>>
>>> USA
>>> and UK: The attached summary has some analysis from the USA and
>>> UK which includes their preferred outsourcing destination. In the USA,
>>> the
>>> top
>>> ten (10) preferred outsourcing destinations, in order of preference are:
>>> 1.
>>> Rural or Small Town USA (via Indian Companies), 2. India, 3. Eastern &
>>> Central
>>> Europe, 4. UK & Ireland (areas of high unemployment), 5. South America,
>>> 6.
>>> Mexico, 7. Philippines, 8. Canada, 9. Russia and 10. Middle East. It can
>>> be
>>> noted that Africa does not feature. In the UK, the perceived best three
>>> destinations as voted during NOA’s 2008 (www.noa.co.uk.index.php/awrds
>>> )
>>> annual awards: 1. Egypt, 2. Romania and 3. Philippines.
>>> NICHE AREAS
>>> Some of the proposed niche areas for the vendor countries are:
>>>
>>> India: The niche areas for
>>> India are a little hard to perceive as they were front-runners in the
>>> BPO
>>> industry amongst developing countries. Over time they have found that
>>> some
>>> of
>>> their niche areas are in remote ICT systems maintenance, software
>>> development,
>>> and numerical analysis for various companies.In addition, they have
>>> capitalized on their experience and historical
>>> advantage and are now outsourcing work (or assisting the client
>>> countries
>>> outsource work) to destinations where they do not have the comparative
>>> advantage. A case in point is actuarial work to South Africa.
>>>
>>> South Africa: Great potential in the banking
>>> sector. South Africa also has excellent actuarial and
>>> insurance services. It is common to find people who may source work to
>>> India
>>> because it is cheaper but are now taking some of the actuarial work to
>>> South
>>> Africa as they will find the skill sets that they may not get as easily
>>> in
>>> India or Philippines. This trend may increase as they are willing to pay
>>> the
>>> optimum price for these skill sets not necessarily the cheapest price.
>>>
>>> Mauritius: Mauritius’s greatest niche
>>> comes from the fact that the country is generally multilingual in two
>>> European
>>> languages (English and French). Many of the current BPO work in
>>> developing
>>> countries are amongst English speakers and they definitely need contacts
>>> who
>>> can also work with their potential French clientele. Mauritius is a good
>>> destination for back office transcription and translation services. It
>>> may
>>> also
>>> be a good destination for front office work that needs translation
>>> (English-French).
>>>
>>> Kenya:Kenya
>>> appears to be an excellent destination for some types of back office
>>> work.
>>> These include financial services (accounting and payroll services) and
>>> legal
>>> work as there is a highly educated population in these areas. It can be
>>> argued
>>> that there may be an opportunity for front office (call centre work) as
>>> many
>>> say the Kenyan accent is neutral though there has to be training in this
>>> area
>>> to ensure there is standardization so Kenya can avoid many of India’s
>>> mistakes.
>>> There is clearly an opportunity for transcription and translation
>>> services
>>> (based on fact that multi-lingual workers are easy to find). Due to the
>>> predominance of the tourism and hospitality industries in the economy,
>>> customer
>>> service orientation is high amongst trained Kenyans.
>>>
>>> Discussion
>>> Q12.There are many institutions marketing Kenya
>>> and are not doing a good job of it and/or are not working from the same
>>> script.
>>> What institutional set up should we have for marketing Kenya for BPO&O
>>> and
>>> how can we improve the coordination and the similarity of the messages?
>>> Discussion
>>> Q13.
>>> Consider the following three examples. One, South Africa has many
>>> challenges,
>>> some of which, like security, are more serious than those for Kenya.
>>> However,
>>> many in the world perceive South Africa as a worthwhile destination in
>>> Africa.
>>> A lot of work has been done by the South African Government to create
>>> this
>>> perception. Two, India’s cost of electricity is as high and unreliable
>>> as
>>> Kenya’s. However, India is still the number one BPO destination.