[kictanet] Day 8 of 10- BPO Discussions, Youth and Gender Issues

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 00:36:35 EAT 2009

This looks like repetition of Day7 unless am missing
something.....or..... confused.....

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Catherine Adeya<elizaslider at yahoo.com> wrote:

> - Day 8 of 10- BPO Discussions, Youth and Gender Issues Continued -
>
> It is a few minutes past midnight now so let me introduce Day 8 of the
> discussions.
>
> Today we continue with the theme of Youth and Gender issues. The following
> is part of the summary I sent yesterday (the detailed attachment I sent
> yesterday is re-attached).
>
> It is useful to begin by noting that the researchers found that the
> unemployment rate (2008 est) was 40% in Kenya, 21.7% in S. Africa, 7.6% in
> Mauritius and 6.8% in India. The researchers also found that the minimum
> qualification for professional staff was a Bachelor’s degree in all four
> countries.  However, the minimum qualification for operators/agents varied.
> In Kenya it was a certificate, diploma or degree depending on operation; in
> S. Africa it was Grade 12; Mauritius school certificate or below and in
> India it was a High school certificate.
>
> The common work related challenges include project management (especially
> meeting deadlines) and long hours. Some employees in Kenya complained about
> challenges with transportation.  The detailed summary findings will be
> availed.
>
> Generally there were more women in call centres than male but more males in
> the professional cadre.  The youth are mostly found in the agent/operator
> jobs. The following are some country specific issues:
>
> In, India there is the Equal Remuneration Act ensures that there is equal
> remuneration to men and women for same jobs. Under this law, no
> discrimination is permissible in recruitment and service conditions except
> where employment of women is prohibited or restricted by the law. NASSCOM
> has launched the Women in Leadership-IT Initiative to enhance participation
> of women in the workforce and ensure there are more women leaders in the
> IT-BPO industry.
> In South Africa, there are 40% more females than males below 25 years
> working in the BPO sector. However, there are 7% more males than females
> above 25 years old.  There is no gender or age based discrimination in the
> work place. There exists no law or policy that prefers youth from other
> groups of people in employment.
> In Mauritius, there is no 24 hour work culture. In addition, the Labor Act
> prohibits employment of female employees in industrial undertakings between
> 10 p.m. and 5 a.m; while youth are not allowed to work between between 6
> p.m. and 6 a.m. Interestingly, there is clause that no person shall, except
> with the Permanent Secretary's written consent, transport a female worker or
> cause a female worker to be transported in a goods vehicle; any other
> vehicle, unless the vehicle is provided with an easy means of entering and
> alighting which does not involve climbing.
>
> 4.   In Kenya we have the Employment Act which many of you know.
>
> This leads us to the following discussion questions:

> [...]

Bildad Kagai
MD - MediaCorp Limited
Nairobi Stock Exchange Authorised Information Vendor
Suite B2, Tetu Court, State House Avenue
P. O. Box 20311 - 00200
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel. 254 20 272 8332
Fax. Rendered Obsolete