[kictanet] [Bpoteam] Day 7 of 10- BPO Discussions, Youth and Gender Issues

Peter K. Kenduiywo pkenduiywo at jambo.co.ke
Wed Jun 10 17:45:19 EAT 2009

Catherine,

*Discussion Q9**: **Are the Kenyan laws adequate to protect the youth and
women from exploitation by BPO&O employers?*

*If you operate within existing laws in Kenya today, it is unlikely that
anybody will be exploited. The more pertinent question is 'Are the current
labour laws in Kenya conducive for BPO  operations?'  I do not know myself.
*

*Think about the newly enacted law which touches on maternity and paternity*
* leave**. Struggling BPO enterprises may find it hard to pay salaries for
employees  who are legally kept away from work. Is it fro example against
the law to facilitate and allow mother and baby to be present  at place of
work? Are there call centres doing this?
*

*The business community is already contesting the laws. See
http://www.hackenya.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=5960&Itemid=534for
a recent session of the Prime Minister's Round Table.
*

Labour Law experts around?

Peter
**