[kictanet] Day 5 of 10- BPO Discussions, HR Issues

Sam Aguyo saguyo at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 10:27:28 EAT 2009

Listners,

Qtn 8: What strategies should the country adopt to ensure a continuous supply of relevant and timely BPO-Specific skills?

As we discuss HR issues i would want to be specific to question 8.  It is very critical to give a more broad spectrum approach to the curriculum and we should not be too reactive. We realise that in this business, institutions are "transfaring part of them" to another location.  There is need for short term and long term doses of intervention that can lead to production of a good workforce.  For example, how can the curriculum include transcription or data entry as part of coursework at school/college which can either be emberded in English, Math....

Training specifically on transcription, data entry is not enough, how about culture, as we train on transcription (read technical) how about soft issues, would the students train and understand Japanese/Jamaican or  American/Angolan cultures?, business to a great extent is culture.  Some of this requers that the students are introduced to them in early stages so that they grow with them.  Something like Understanding Diversity can be introduced in schools to prepare students for the new world order (globalisation) otherwise we risk churning out automatons.

Qtn 7: How do we develop a national database on the wide-range of available ICT skill in Kenya - specifically which institution should be mandated to realise this, ensuring that such a database is kept upto date over the years?

Regards,

Sam Aguyo