[kictanet] Day 7 of 10- BPO Discussions, Youth and Gender Issues

Catherine Adeya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 08:11:35 EAT 2009

- Day 7 of 10- BPO Discussions, Youth and Gender Issues -

Morning all,

Walu has done a fantastic job moderating  so far and now you are stuck with me for the
next four days.  Today’s theme is on Youth and Gender issues. It is
obvious we have touched on a number of issues that focus on this theme in the
last few days; however, it is still pertinent to address it as an exclusive
issue.
 Some of you have
wondered why we keep referring to S. Africa, Mauritius and India. I would like
to re-emphasize that those are the countries where the research was conducted
but views from other countries are welcome. The idea is not to compare Kenya
per se but to bench-mark on our (or potential) competitors. Views based on
other countries are very welcome, the researchers could not visit more
countries due to funding constraints.
It is useful to begin by noting that the researchers found
that the unemployment rate (2008 est) was 40% in Kenya, 21.7% in S. Africa,
7.6% in Mauritius and 6.8% in India. The researchers also found that the
minimum qualification for professional staff was a Bachelor’s degree in all
four countries.  However, the minimum
qualification for operators/agents varied.  In Kenya it was a certificate, diploma or degree depending on operation;
in S. Africa it was Grade 12; Mauritius school certificate or below and in
India it was a High school certificate.
The common work related challenges include project
management (especially meeting deadlines) and long hours. Some employees in
Kenya complained about challenges with transportation.  The detailed summary findings will be availed.
Generally there were more women in call centres than male
but more males in the professional cadre.  The youth are mostly found in the
agent/operator jobs. The following are some country specific issues:
	1. In, India there is the Equal Remuneration Act ensures that there is equal remuneration to men and women for same jobs. Under this law, no discrimination is permissible in recruitment and service conditions except where employment of women is prohibited or restricted by the law. NASSCOM has launched the Women in Leadership-IT Initiative to enhance participation of women in the workforce and ensure there are more women leaders in the IT-BPO industry.
	2. In South Africa, there are 40% more females than males below 25 years working in the BPO sector. However, there are 7% more males than females above 25 years old.  There is no gender or age based discrimination in the work place. There exists no law or policy that prefers youth from other groups of people in employment.
	3. In Mauritius, there is no 24 hour work culture. In addition, the Labor Act prohibits employment of female employees in industrial undertakings between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m; while youth are not allowed to work between between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. Interestingly, there is clause that no person shall, except with the Permanent Secretary's written consent, transport a female worker or cause a female worker to be transported in a goods vehicle; any other vehicle, unless the vehicle is provided with an easy means of entering and alighting which does not involve climbing.
4.   In Kenya we have the Employment Act which many of you know.
This leads us to
the following discussion questions:
Discussion Q9: Are the Kenyan laws adequate to protect the youth and women from
exploitation by BPO&O employers?
Discussion Q. 10: The BPO sector is not seen as a long term source of
employment for most employees. Most believe it is a stepping stone to other
lucrative opportunities. What needs to be done to ensure the youth and women
view the industry as attractive, especially in terms of quality of employment
and career progression?
Discussion Q11: Attrition and
poaching are prevalent in most countries studied. What mechanisms should
employers adopt to attract and retain their staff?
Let the games (oops! Discussion)
begin!
Thanks
Nyaki