[kictanet] Day 5 of 10- BPO Discussions, HR Issues

Harry Delano harry at inds.co.ke
Mon Jun 8 22:58:03 EAT 2009

Dear all,

Sorry to catch up late on this. Been offline abit.

If this perhaps has been addressed, apologies for repetition, but I suppose
from the discussions aforegoing,
and in order now to move forward, I suggest we formulate a comprehensive
National BPO taskforce to give direction
and come up with a methodology of harnessing the expertise we have in place
already, and inventorize it.At
the same time also come up with a strategy of developing and creating new
potential within the value chain.
Talent & expertise should be developed from an early age, and the place to
start is our primary education
institutions. Can we determinedly,albeit step by step in conjunction with
the Ministry of Education, Science and
Technology to start reworking on our curriculum in centres of learning
starting from the lower going up and make it
more relevant in this time and age. You would agree with me, at some point
each one of us back then did a lot of
course subjects that are not in any way relevant to what you and me are
doing now. How about narrowing down to
specific area of concentration in study as one progresses up leading to
specialization in career later. This would
also help change a mindset that has existed for along time, where each of us
only looked forward to being hired into
a job. Period! Now this would change as skill sets are developed early on
and learners exposed to opportunities and encouraged into entrepreneurship
upon graduating.

I feel Vision 2030 should encompass this approach to things. Development of
potential, ultimately. Starting now..

Harry