[kictanet] Day 5 of 10- BPO Discussions, HR Issues

Fatma Bashir fatma.bashir at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:09:21 EAT 2009

Dear Listers,

If I may make a few comments on some capacity building initiatives that the
MOE (Min of Education) is already putting in place that will vastly increase
ICT skills into the Market . Whereas these will not be at the Degree level I
am certain that for data entry and perhaps other less specialized fields of
the BPO sector they will ready and available for snapping up.

There are various programs that are already in place to equip secondary
schools with Computer labs and appropriate digital content aimed at
enhancing competencies in both the sciences, Mathematics and ICT subject
areas. These will see skills (that are necessary at foundation level)
identified both by the students themselves and the MOE that can then be
harnessed either through selection of science based careers or ICT
preparedness of the student body that graduates from High school. These
skills can then be tapped into by the ICT sector in general or BPO in
particular. Or even better open up possibilities of degree courses that are
attractive to the wider BPO sector requirements.

The first round of 213 schools is done and simple maths for this should tell
us that already over 127, 800 students (213 X 600 on average students per
school) are already getting hands on experience on basic ICT skill sets.
More schools are expected for the 2009-2010 financial year I suspect.

Although I am not privy to the MOE plan their ICT for secondary school
policy clearly seeks to impart not just  basic ICT skills to each and every
secondary school student but to take things one step further and implement
computer studies as an examinable subject in more schools, this will give
students a wider range of skills that I am sure will be exactly what the
doctor ordered for the BPO sector and ICT entrepreneurship in general.

Taking a leaf from countries such as Malaysia and India it was the 'opening'
up of the ICT sector within the mass education system ( secondary/Tertiary)
that enabled a boost to their own ICT industry.

Our young students simply need to have these skills and I am sure that the
Human resource gap that is looming will be readily and ably filled not just
as front office workers but for innovation as well more specific skill sets
as well.

What needs to also be shared out is what are the specific skill sets
required for the BPO industry - I am sure that the skills needed in the
tourism sector , differ from those needed in the medical sector. That way
this information can inform the Education Managers to tilt or include/
enhance some skill sets within the curriculum that will form the foundation
for further development either on the job or at tertiary level.

The long and short of it, from my perspective is that the BPO sector will
post even bigger successes if the MOE is made part and parcel of the
delivery chain. The purpose of education at a policy level is to prepare the
future work force for its country.

The mouse needs to be the new pen in schools. And with appropriate shift in
policy and funding, this can be acheived.

Fatma