[kictanet] Business Unusual at ICANN !!

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jul 15 14:51:28 EAT 2009

At 9:49 AM +0300 7/15/09, Bill Kagai wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Gakuru
>Alex<alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  1. Disclosure within ICANN:
>>
>>  [Of big brand owners and 'Intellectual Property" industry oiling ICANN
>>  domain name policy making process - to the detriment of people like us, in
>>  Kenya, and Africa. Countries that do not have well established digital IP
>>  laws, "Famous Marks" registries, and poor, if any, software and IT
>>  innovations patent system. If just continue sitting back and allow ICANN be
>>  influenced by wealthy IP interests, then expect those IP interests to
>>  patent/copyright even our traditional languages such that we cannot have our
>>  cultures nor use languages over the internet.
>
>Chief,
>Even latin is not this hard to comprehend. Maybe you should consider
>simple language (with pictures) to pass your message.

The IRT (Implementation Recommendation Team) was set up to produce a
report making recommendations about trademark protections in new
gTLDs.  ICANN is currently deciding how to introduce new gTLDs,
probably a lot of new gTLDs, the IRT is part of that.  Like most
ICANN processes it is complex, it has developed through a series of
rolling public comments and consultations (all ICANN processes take
time and are complicated, it's a cost of the transparency and
inclusiveness the organization attempts to follow.)

My views on this are somewhat bias, I'm a member of NCUC and ALAC,
but I have found the IRT process rushed and to unfairly favor the
interests of those who wish to strengthen the intellectual property
protections enjoyed by trademark holders.  As KICTANet is a
multistakeholder list, I expect some may disagree with me :-)