[kictanet] shaping history - the revolution of the fibre

Solomon Mburu solo.mburu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:21:08 EAT 2009

There is much hype on the availability of internet even at home. This
revolution, we really need to have it protected from the politicians
hijacking, claiming it as their project.
Talking about electricity, I view that in order to make the fibre optic
cable, there is a need to make the project a multi-sectoral approach. By
this I mean, different ministries (Communications, Energy,
Industrialization, Trade etc), private sector ( corporates, Banks etc)
Telcos( Safaricom, Zain, Orange and Yu) etc, should be on the forefront to
make the cable have an impact to the majority of the people. I haven ot
heard, or seen any of the directly beneficiaries of the fibre optic cables
informing there end-consumers on what id expected of them from this
revolution.   (I stand to be corrected on this)

Aggressive information to the masses is important so that we don't get
caught with our pants down, before the SEACOM and EASSY Cables land!

My thoughts!

Regards,

2009/7/1 Stephen Mwangi <smwngi at gmail.com>

> It a great step in the right direction. however can we ensure that it
> doesn't end up like the railway system. We know its there but how many of us
> actually use it today?  Now that we have it can we work on the electricity?
> Push to get power in our homes, offices etc 24/7/365.
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Mwololo Tim <timwololo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Michael for this clarification. We need these facts to avoid the
>> usual politics. tim
>>
>> On 6/29/09, Michael Joseph <MJoseph at safaricom.co.ke> wrote:
>>
>>>  I think the President was witness to the official arrival of the final
>>> stretch of the Teams cable. I don’t think anyone said that he commissioned
>>> the cable as obviously it needs to tested and go through a period of
>>> stabilization and powering. This will take some time. I do not have the most
>>> accurate figure yet but it’s about 8 to 10 weeks before handing over to
>>> Teams for acceptance testing.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>

>>> *CEO*
>>>
>>> *Safaricom Limited*

Solomon Mburu
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!