[kictanet] We have failed Kenya, again

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 00:13:05 EAT 2009

Solomon and Crystal,
I had from a good friend that our neighbours(EA) regard us as a man eat man
society, that our society is for the swift much as this might be a good
attribute it is the governments role to protect the slow ones who are also
our brothers, talk of Universal Access (Free?? Alex), Universal Education
(Free Primary Education). Nonetheless there seems to be a communication
barrier between researchers and policy makers or shall we call them
implementers, that might expalin why R&D is not well established in our
country what do you say any thoughts on this??

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Solomon Mburu <solo.mburu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Barrack and Crystal,
>
> I do agree with Crystal that ICT has not been fully utilized to avert
> social crises affecting Kenya. If only the government through the ICT Board
> can make good use of ICT in averting the challenges facing Kenya, then we
> would not be talking of corruprion and other ills affecting Kenya because
> the integration of ICT just exists in s the minds of the young. The old
> chaps have not fully inderstood the need to make it more effective apart
> from just being used as a communication tool.
> In the private sector, ICT has become one of the basic tools for running
> the affairs of organizations.
>

> There is an urgent need to prioritize ICT as a core function for closing
> the gap between the informed and the non-informed.
>
> Recently I was in West Pokot, amd Kacheliba Constituency, (Infact I passed
> where K24 and KTN journalist were beaten) and couldn't believe the rate at
> which development is lagging behind. The people there no nothing like ICT
> and, being a place presented by the Minister for Communications, should be
> the first place where ICT is flourishing, but with the famine, yur guess is
> as good as mine!
>
> In fact during the Post Election Violence, the Pokots were saying, *hiyo
> ni vita ya Kenya... Kama ni vita ya kuchukua(*read *kuiba) ng'ombe,
> tutaenda...!* and *'mbona kuchoma nyumba ya mtu ama kuuwa mtu badala ya
> ng'ombe...!*
>
> There is indeed a whole of debate on where ICT can be placed, but the
> setting up of agenda in this has to be done with efficiency and sobriety!
>
> Mburu
>
> --
> Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
> same way to the side of a hill!

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254726544442
+254733206359
www.issenconsult.com
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa