[kictanet] We have failed Kenya, again

Crystal Watley crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Sun Jan 18 19:34:33 EAT 2009

Barrack,

I am a social scientist and there are many ways that ICT can help to solve
the food crisis, stop corruption, and bring to an end the disintegration of
Kenya. The main problem here is that ICTs are not being widely utilized for
problem solving for the wananchi, but for making the rich richer. Those who
can afford the technology benefit and leave everyone else behind. That is
where the GOVERNMENT is supposed to step in. The issue with the government
in Kenya is priorities. This extends thoughout all sectors. It is obvious
that the poor in the villages who are expericing famine are NOT on the
forefront of the agenda.

The silver lining lies in the few organizations who know that ICTs can be
used in development and strive to do so. Many struggle with little support
and overwhelming workload, but they continue to serve. Let us not forget the
scores of unsung heros in ICT whose agenda is set by the needs of the
people. I think it is high time that those with the right priorities join
together to ensure our villages are not left behind.

Many blessings,

Crystal

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley
Voices of Africa
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi