[kictanet] Fw: Kibaki signs Bill into law

Shem Ochuodho shemochuodho at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 11:06:59 EAT 2009

People,

Who said media isn't part of ICT? Only a very narrow view of ICT can exclude media, more so broadcasting. I don't believe Kibaki and Raila are trying to take Kenya back to where Moi had us! Though the info I have is scanty, I have been observing with owe from the time kina Nyambane & Caroline were locked up, and wondered how different it is from the Kanu days! It is good to have an 'e-Transactions Bill' enacted (some call it ICT Bill/Act), but that's only part of the story. A 'converged' Bill/Act (like this one attempts to be) would be the ideal, but the due process for such would need much more than appears to have gone into the current Act. Under our/Kenya's circumstances, perhaps it would have been better to have two seperate 'e-Transactions Bill' and 'Media (Amendment) Bill'. The former was for sure long overdue (otherwise why else would KQ do its e-ticketing in SAfrica?). But then again, the current Act isn't a panacea to Kenya's "ICT" sector! I
 doubt it addresses even the most fundamental issues...! Am glad nobody is saying media itself doesn't have bones in its cupboards. But two wrongs don't make a right.