[kictanet] Fw: Kibaki signs Bill into law

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 09:56:08 EAT 2009

Makali,
Instead of psyching up for a second round of war, why don't we move a notch
higher and do things a bit differently as observed by a leading and
respected journalist, Tom Mshindi.

Herewith, quoting him verbatim;

[Finally, the media's convulsive, strident reaction was too hysterical. We
in the media have often been accused of not being balanced in our reactions
to important national issues compared to our responses to media-specific
issues. This was a good example.

We had a right to be angry but more importantly, we needed to demonstrate
the key journalistic principle of balance in reporting the news.

After all, the Bill had become law and the mode of engagement called for
less confrontation and more aggressive lobbying. This is what finally won
over the President, not the public hysteria.

In more optimistic circumstances, I would say we have learnt our lessons and
should expect more sagacious displays from all the actors. But media and
politicians know that this was just another day in the ever eventful,
love-hate relationship between the two.]

Source -
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/-/440808/512130/-/427cut/-/index.html