[kictanet] Kibaki signs Bill into law

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:54:38 EAT 2009

I tend to think we ought to now move a notch higher and look at these issues
from the higher and superior perspective of Constitution making framework.

Shifting into second gear should now encompass ensuring that the Media
fraternity confines itself into issues regarding specific sections in the
ICT Act whilst contemplating what could be built into the Freedom Bill which
could move faster in parliament.

In the meantime, find enclosed some notes investigating how the Media Act
could marry with the ICT Act.

Distinction between the Media Act of 2007 and the Kenya Communications
(Amendment Bill) 2008

1.      There is confusion that the bill recently assented to by the
President is the 'Media Bill'. Further, the public has been unable to obtain
information on the current debate independently of what the media itself
claims this bill is geared to do. Basic information must be made available
to the public by re-stating that this Act is NOT the Media Act passed in
2006 which established the Media Council of Kenya. Rather, the current bill
should be referred to as the "ICT Act" and broadcast is a very small
component of the new Act.
2.      In fact the only reference to broadcast is section 46 (h) which
deals with content coding e.g. what sort of program to categorize as bearing
SNLV (sex, nudity, language & violence), what programs are inappropriate for
which age bracket (under 13, 16 or 18 as the case may be) and what time such
programs are to be broadcast. Sadly, the media has misinterpreted this
section to mean that the CCK (or Government) will approve the content of
what to broadcast and further personalized this into a war of vendetta with
the Information Minister Samuel Poghisio.
3.      Overall, the public needs to be made to understand that the main
purpose of the Kenya Communication amendment bill (now Act) is to provide a
regulatory framework for the ICT sector. Hence, it is crucial to reiterate
that lack of an ICT sector regulatory framework has been a great impediment
to investment in the ICT sector putting Kenya at a disadvantage especially
regarding Business Process Outsourcing (call centers etc) with competitors
like India. It is absolutely crucial to have a modern ICT law by the time
the various fiber-optic cables (Teams, Eassy, Seacom) to provide broad band
connectivity land in Kenya in the next half of 2009 and when the onset of
mass internet availability will become reality

Common ownership of newspapers, television and radio broadcasting licenses

4.      Debate should shift from current emotional attacks on the President
to the issues of frequencies and airwaves which are an expensive public
resource that should benefit all since the "freedom of information and to
receive opinions" can be compromised by the fact that there is an emerging
sense of monolithic ownership of the mainstream media between the Nation
Group, the Baraza / Standard Group and Royal Media Services, with extensive
and vast cross cutting ownership between print and broadcast.
5.      Access to diverse sources of information is a right to everyone-so
as to make the right choices- without which monolithic media ownership could
be used to hide various misdeeds and serve to perpetuate public ignorance.
For the functioning of our emerging democracy, the requirement of a diverse
ownership of the daily mass media cannot be over-emphasized in order to
ensure that public life is reported in a fair and open manner.Prevention of
multi-media domination of opinion should be part of the current debate and
this is one of the things the Kenya Communications Amendment Act seeks to
address.
6.      By the same token, the Government should aver that it does not
advocate for media control, rather, it is only putting in place legislation
to encourage diversity in the ownership of the most influential forms of the
commercial media: the daily press and free-to-air television and radio.
7.      As an example, Australia in order to support competition policy,
discourage concentration of media ownership in local markets; and enhance
public access to a diversity of viewpoints, sources of news, information and
commentary, introduced specific controls over media through the Broadcasting
Services Act of 1992 which controls the extent of cross-media directorships
of TV, radio and newspapers.
8.      There are also similar limits in The United States of America. The
Federal Communications Commission's policies and rules on cross-ownership
and multiple ownership of broadcast stations has been guided by the
Telecommunications Act of 1996 and attempts to balance two of its most
fundamental goals in broadcast ownership fostering competition in the
markets in which broadcast stations compete, while preserving a diversity of
information sources, especially at the local level   with the efficiencies
of common ownership and increased competition in the media marketplace.
9.      On the other hand in South Africa, there are four large media
companies that publish newspapers and magazines and have shares in
broadcasting. The diversity of the press in South Africa is poor. The
closure of a couple of newspapers and the purchase of others by the four
main media institutes has made the poor diversity even worse. Although it
seems as if there are lots of newspapers and magazines as well as radio
stations in South Africa, their independence and objectivity is questioned
on account of cross ownership between print and broadcast.
10.  The ICT Bill should therefore be seen as a comprehensive review of the
law of among other things the common ownership of print and broadcast media
with all stakeholders in the interests of press freedom and market
competition. These are key factors in the growth, vigour and autonomy of the
press which will serve to accelerate democratization in Kenya. Thus the
current debate should separate the interests of media owners (which are what
is currently being fed to Kenyans) from the public interest issues of the
right to information.

Duty of the Media to go beyond the pursuit of profits & serve the Public
Interest

11.  While the media like any business is driven by the shareholders'
interest for the pursuit of profit, the media also has an onerous
responsibility since media is different from other types of business. The
very fact that the media have a critical role to play as watchdog means that
it is often possible for it to change behaviour within the public sphere.
But this capacity to influence change has not been fully realized within the
Kenyan press. The media must go beyond mere reporting of sensationalist
stories that captivate their readership and increase sales.
12.  There remains a tendency in Kenya not to do follow up stories after the
initial bombastic coverage. For instance, there is little effort to
investigate whether complaints were made in the aftermath of police extra
judicial killings, whether any disciplinary investigations were conducted
thereafter, or even whether anyone was arrested and charged.
13.  Similarly, it is not enough for the media to report official government
edicts uncritically and without much independent investigation or research
to discover underlying realities. The Government should make its case that
it hopes that media owners will invest in true investigative journalism
which is one positive opportunity of developing Kenya.
14.  The growing public disgust with corruption in Kenya has already
generated a strong market demand for such reporting. The mass media must
develop these skills and tools to counter the current dominance of
repetitive political rhetoric on our media space, on the erroneous
assumption that this is what Kenyans want to read. The drive for newspaper
sales and advertisement should not otherwise compromise the sacred
obligation of the media to go beyond the element of business.

Ethics in Journalism

15.  Among the most important duties for journalists is to follow the truth
regardless of the consequences arising out of it. Journalists should publish
only such information, documents and pictures the sources of which are known
to them. They should not suppress any information or important elements of
information nor should they distort any text, document or picture (these
issues are already covered by the Media Act and there is a body the Media
Council of Kenya to deal with complaints of unfair reporting).
16.  Media houses in Kenya have tended to employ more freelance
correspondents as opposed to full time staff. There are very few reporters
working full time in the newsrooms. Many of our journalists lack proper
training that can lead them towards more critical thinking. It behoves the
media owners to train those who work for them to think in a more systematic
and analytical manner.
17.  There is an intrinsic relationship between the low pay reporters and
correspondents are paid and the quality of work that they submit. Media
owners have therefore played a major role in the genesis of this scenario,
despite the inordinately massive profits they are able to rake in from
advertisements.
18.  Journalists are entitled to clear written terms of reference and
contracts of employment which do not hinder the inherent right to
collectively organize through trade unions. Media owners should therefore
work towards their workers realizing this aspiration.
19.  If media owners fail to live up to their obligation to pay journalists
living wages, it would become futile and rhetorical to expect the underpaid
correspondents to observe journalistic ethics. Without economic
independence, a broke correspondent cannot refrain from the falling into the
trap of commercial publicity or other inducements which by virtue of their
profession are liable to curb their freedom to express their own opinions.
20.  Media owners therefore have a sacred responsibility to safeguard the
quality of journalism by infusing new skills and providing direction on what
information journalists should look out for, what to bring and what they
should confirm. Almost all the stories we read in the media today, demand
for more information yet little effort is being directed to this type of
reporting
21.  In getting our media houses in order, it would be good to recommend
among other issues:

i)                    That media houses restrict the use of correspondents;
instead full time reporters should be engaged on clear and unequivocal terms
ii)                   That media owners pay those who work for them a decent
living wage that will ensure economic independence of journalists
iii)                 That part of the revenue generated from advertising be
channeled towards training journalists to conduct more investigative
reporting

22.  There are also concerns that some of the media houses and especially
those broadcasting in ethnic languages sometimes blur the line between
positive and negative ethnicity, and enter into the area of hate speech.
Clearly, this is an area that requires some sort of regulation of the
content. Nevertheless, the varied political complexions of the main media
houses and the tenacity of reporters speak volumes about the immense
potential of the media in Kenya as an accountability mechanism.

Way Forward on the current debate

23.  The Government should assure stakeholders that the issues which are
found to be repugnant (such as section 88 which has been law for a long
time) or other clauses in the recently signed bill will be re-looked and
amended through the Miscellaneous Statute Amendment Bill (2009) and for a
start the Attorney General could be asked to initiate consultations on what
sort of representation should be accorded to the media fraternity within CCK