[kictanet] Rwanda

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:04:48 EAT 2009

Media issues aside, i read this article and i was wondering why cant we
implement some of this ????

Electronic driving licences to be ready next month
Monday, 5th January 2009

BY EDWIN MUSONI
KIGALI - The Rwanda National Police (RNP) will start distributing new
electronic driving licences next month to people who registered for
them, the head of Traffic Police, Superintendent Robert Niyonshuti
has said.

The plastic license will have a built-in data bar that will contain
all details of the holder.

The process of registering for the electronic driving licenses
commenced in the last quarter of 2008 and according to Niyonshuti,
the police is now in the final stages of verifying the lists of the
individuals who registered for the new licenses.

Speaking to The New Times yesterday, Niyonshuti said: "registration
for the licenses has ended and we are now finalising the process of
verification of people put on the list to get them."

Only those who owned old driving licenses were registered on the list
to get the electronic ones. As a way of verification, police are
checking details of the old licenses to see if they correspond with
details in the police data base.

Niyonshuti however added that there is a number of people who did not
register for the new license because they had not got their new
national identity cards.

"We have considered those people as well, their registration is
commencing mid this month and we request those who had not received
the new IDs during the first exercise to come and register," said the
traffic boss.

Asked how Rwandans in the Diaspora would get their driving licences,
Niyonshuti said that the National Steering Committee in charge of
issuing the electronic identification is working in partnership with
all Rwandan embassies abroad to ensure that every national in the
Diaspora gets his or her document.

"We will ensure that no Rwandan national misses or faces any hardship
in getting the license," said Niyonshuti.

The new state-of the-art driving licenses cost Rwf50, 000 and the
government contracted the famous De La Rue, a British security
printing, papermaking and cash handling Systems Company headquartered
in Basingstoke Hampshire, to manufacture the cards.

All the driving license categories in Rwanda will be required to be
electronic and the new categories that did not exist before such as
A1 and B1 for handicapped motorists will also be issued at the same
technology and cost.

Another new category is for D1 vehicles that carry over 30 passengers.

http://www.newtimes .co.rw/index. php?issue= 13766&article=
12202<http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13766&article=12202>

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254726544442
+254733206359
www.issenconsult.com
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa