[kictanet] Kibaki signs Bill into law

Gakuru Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:44:16 EAT 2009

My best understanding is that they used to call it 'convergence' but
nowadays its referred to as the 'Networked Communication Envrionment'
see Layer model presentation by Lisa Horner
<http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/files/layer_model_nairobi_Lisa_Horner.ppt>
(thus sorry Waundo I doubt how far back we could revert to
'stand-alone' legislation approaches?) for examples, what law would
govern a webcaster? 'broadcasting' or 'telecommunications'? If
'telecommunication' would it be a 'mobile' or 'wireline' law? How
about an online newspaper vs. it's printed version? etc.. etc.. And
given the lengthy legislative processes, when would all those laws be
enacted, piecemeal?

In upholding Public Interest see
<http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/public+interest+principles+for+the+networked+communications+environment>

regards,