[kictanet] Kibaki signs Bill into law

alice alice at apc.org
Mon Jan 5 17:47:32 EAT 2009

I agree and for Pete's/Jane's sake could media drop the  "media bill"
reference. It is the Kenya Communications  (Amendment) bill 2008, which
covers much much more than broadcasting issues. and much more
importantly it finally deals with issues of convergence from a
technological, content, regulatory, as well as economic perspective. it
is important that the communications "sector" adapts to this global
convergence trend/scenario, because it will provide for expansion of
universal access to ICTs,  in terms of reducing costs while stimulating
economic and social growth. This can only be done through appropriate
ICT policy and regulatory mechanisms, which the bill provides for.

What we should be focusing on are the challenges that will come with
this dynamic because adaption to convergence is not the end point.

best
alice

p.s. views are personal and not a reflection of any of the
institutions/organisations I am affiliated with.