[kictanet] New Health-Related Blogging Campaign Starts February 14th: Please Join Us!

Janet Feldman kaippg at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 10:44:59 EAT 2009

Dear All,

I'm posting this info here (below) because we have a number of Kenyan and African project partners in Global Voices and Rising Voices, including the youth development nonprofit REPACTED (www.repacted.org) and our chat moderators, Serina Kalande and Daudi Were.

We have found some highly valuable Kenyan blogs about HIV/AIDS, and would love to find more such blogs and bloggers in Kenya and Africa. Please be in touch with any information or interest in this project!

Thanks and best blogging wishes, Janet

Dear Friends,

This Valentine's Day (February 14), Global Voices--a leading participatory media news room for voices from the developing world--will be launching a campaign called "Teach Someone You Love to Blog or Micro-Blog." Please participate in this exciting project by following the simple steps on this post:

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2009/02/11/on-valentines-teach-someone-you-love-to-blog-or-micro-blog/

Global Voices and its outreach arm, Rising Voices, are at the forefront of citizen-journalism activities related to issues such as health, development, and ICTs. This "teach-in" marks the start of a series of health-related activities specifically focusing on HIV/AIDS.

A "Blogging Positively Guide," now in the works, will provide valuable advice on how to blog to address HIV/AIDS issues. We are looking for help to create the Guide and/or to give feedback, so those interested in or already blogging about the pandemic are encouraged to participate. People living with or affected by HIV/AIDS are especially encouraged to become involved.

A global interactive map--with entries about HIV/AIDS-related blogs and bloggers who write on that theme--is being created, and we hope you will send information to add to our growing list!

A "Blogging Positively" chat, intended as an ongoing discussion about blogging to address HIV/AIDS, is scheduled for February 27, 2009 at the following times: 9 a.m. New York, 2 p.m. London, 5 p.m. Nairobi.  This chat will build on the insights shared during the highly successful World AIDS Day chat, held on December 3, 2008.

The chat will be held at www.worknets.org/chat.  There may be several chatrooms available for different languages. Login using your name and elect the room you want to join by clicking "enter." Once in the room, select a font color on the left side of the screen, then join the chat.

For more information, visit the Rising Voices website and join the Blogging Positively forum.

To contact someone involved in the Blogging Positively project, email Janet Feldman (Blogging Positively Guide Coordinator), Juhie Bhatia (Global Voices Public Health Editor), Solana Larsen (Global Voices Managing Editor). To contact the chat moderators, write to Serina Kalande (serina.kalande at gmail.com) and/or Daudi Were (daudi.were at gmail.com).