[kictanet] KNEC giving candidates, parents a raw deal

wesley kirinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 11:42:32 EAT 2009

I'm concerned about the hundreds of thousands of students that will miss high school. Last year 250,000 missed it. Over a five year period, this adds up to more than a million, in a country whose population is about 40 million!

Out of those who go to high school, only a handful end up in university.
Someone should do a sturdy on the loss to our economy. The government spends lots on money to educate 250,000 people annually who will not get to high school. With our current systems, most of these 250,000 will not get descent employment/stable sources of income. Most of them come from rural areas, which are the areas that need serious development and skilled man-power to drive the development. If I opened a branch of my company in some rural area of Kenya, who will I employ? Even if I employ some people, they would be threatened by the Mungiki-types (children who join gangs in order to extort money)

We need every child in Kenya, willing to go to school, to be able to archieve at least Diploma level. Without that, we should forget vision 2030 and competing with India and other Asian countries! The Chinese will continue building our roads, as Kenyans sweep them with brooms, not even specialized machines!

I would like to bring in a different perspective as to the low performance, which someone mentioned as seriously wrong. What would happen if most students passed their exams, especially now with record numbers enrolling in schools? Where will they go? You would have students with B grades missing high school. That would be a great embrassment to goverment.

If money is available to buy fleets of new cars (which dont really add to our GDP), surely there should be money for better quality of education for our children (which definately adds to our GDP).

This is a national disaster.

O~(