[kictanet] Digital TV Launches

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sat Dec 12 08:46:55 EAT 2009

Mr. Aguyo,
First we have until 2012 when the cut off will be done.  For ICT techies
one does not need the converter box.  A simple modem will do.  We shall
denonstrate this to help Kenyans move faster into Digital.  Indeed in the
converged environment, we have moved from Broadcast into IT.  Once
operators discover this and we want them to, they will help reduce e-waste
in the country.  Digital ready TVs are actually computer monitors.  They
will serve the dual purpose of a desk top and TV.  As for the TVs we have,
we shall encourage Kenyans to use certified e-waste dealers in the country
such as Computer for skills.  With the innovative capability in this
country, I am confident that someone will come up with a solution in terms
of converting what we have into meaningful use.

In my view, every problem is an opportunity.  We should indeed be seeing
opportunities rather than problems.

Ndemo.

> Just a thought
> We have upto 2015 to replace the old TV sets with the new ones or buy the
> gadget that would convert from analog to digital.  However there is a
> chance that a number of people will discard most of the old sets for new
> ones.  Lets not ignore the fact of a very aggressive marketing that will
> follow. There is currently scanty information on the national install base
> of TVs, some statistics indicate between 700,000 to 1 million this is a
> huge number.  Are there plans in place to manage this e-waste?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sam

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.