[kictanet] FW: March 2009 Meeting in Kenya - Warnings

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Dec 10 12:16:06 EAT 2009

Dear Colleagues- I agree with Marylin. The impact of the
advisories should be to ensure everyone takes necessary
precautions to cover possibilities that can happen - with
differing probabilities of course - at any travel destination.
Right now I am attending a conference at a large hotel on the
Kenyan coast and the facility is filled to capacity with tourists
from Europe peacefully enjoying their holidays in the sun. I am
not saying that there are no security concerns in Kenya but I am
sure that ICANN staff carried out sufficient due diligence before
making the decision to bring the meeting to Nairobi - so, on the
balance, it is safe. Nairobi is an acknowledged international
conference destination and, together with Vienna and Geneva,
hosts the only major UN offices outside New York. I also
understand the Kenya Government is taking extra measures on
logistics to address any security concerns for ICANN delegates so
please feel free to be our guest in March.

Kind Regards,
Waudo

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:52 -0500, "Marilyn Cade"