[kictanet] Who does Yawe expect to produce this content.

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 11:21:12 EAT 2009

robert yawe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dr. Ndemo asked the question above and I missed it among the rest of
> his message.
>
> I have said many times that the government sits on the greatest volume
> of relevant content which they seriously need to digitize.
>
> The government places adverts in the paper for vacancies yet the the
> particular media has a distribution of less than 1 million copies per
> day 80% of which are distributed within the urban areas yet 80% of the
> population is rural based.
>
> This adverts are usually spread over 4 - 6 pages which translates to
> over 2 million shillings yet the information will only reach 1% of the
> targeted audience.  If the same information was made available online
> including an application page then you will have participated in
> creating content.
>
> I tried application form on kenya.go.ke but the links are broken and
> are based in email application.  Why not spend some of the money used
> on ineffective print media adverts to implement an online application
> system.  With this the government will develop a database.
>
> Why have you not spear headed an initiative to produce comprehensive
> web sites with information on government run educational institutions
> instead of having such institutions spend millions of shillings
> placing newspaper advertisements.  This could also run on an intranet
> that would be made available to the education officers stationed at
> all district head quarters.
>
> And last and closest to my heart, when will Kenyans get a single point
> of contact when they need to contact their government, this has
> nothing to do with broadband, fibre optic or digital villages just
> basic voice based contact centre.  I am tired of hearing about
> grandiose ideas yet you are unwilling to implement basic solutions.
>
> Dr. Ndemo, I therefore ask "are you interested in creating content?"
>
> Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

Robert,

These are extremely powerful statements you have made before - much more
relevant than ICDL spats.

We need to approach and help those concerned on the ground with these
(national and local) government sites on a technical (not policy) level.

It is not easy for them factoring political dynamics that ensure 'ICT'
and other deals are awarded to companies connected to elements that need
to retain their parliamentary or council seats or secure their
retirements if they fail to.

Have heard from a software developer or two about information systems
being rejected (after development) because it made it easier to track
and collect revenues - that many council officials (all over Kenya) pocket.

SMM