[kictanet] [Fwd: [AfrICANN-discuss] Kenya: Is New Internet Exchange Necessary?]

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:33:20 EAT 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM, alice <alice at apc.org> wrote:

>   Kenya: Is New Internet Exchange Necessary?

Is it a new IXP or is it just bad journalism (not Fiona's article but
the original piece that spurred the editorial).

>From what I gather it is a more of Network Aggregation Point, so that
government traffic can be aggregated and then handed off to
provider(s) for forwarding.

Do all these government Ministries and other gov nets have ASNs and IP
blocks to mimic the peering fabric of KIXP? I think not.

I gave a brief presentation on IPv6 to the EA Consumers meeting a few
weeks ago, when a member of the Kenya
IPv6 Forum on the panel said "the government is going to start their
own ISP".  Anyone able to shed any light on this one?

--
Cheers,

McTim