[kictanet] .ke domain costs too high

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 21:22:08 EAT 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Harry,
>
> I was wondering when you will give us your 2 US cents on this issue.

Right then, here is my 2 bob:

The issue is pricing, correct?  Some folks think it is too high.

I don't know if that is correct, and I certainly challenge the notion that
if domain names cost 200 bob, there would be a flood of registrations.  I
don't think that there are that many folk who are kept out of the market by
the price.  OTOH, if the price was 200 bob, there would be an incentive for
domainers to come into the market.  I don't like that idea much at all.

One can see that ~15 new domains daily this month at
http://www.kenic.or.ke/statistics.html
(BTW, whats with the pull down menus on the KeNIC website, they make me
dizzy)

Anyway, I'm a "glass half full kind of guy" and in comparison to Kenya's
neighbors, our glass is overflowing.

I think the choice is clear, does the community want a lean, bare bones
registry operating solely to make .ke domains as inexpensive as possible, or
what we have now, which is a model of an Internet community actively engaged
in local, regional and global Internet Governance affairs?

I for one appreciate the added value stuff that KeNIC does, whether its its
NTP servers, IPv6 education, DNSSEC work, ICANN involvement, rootservers
(the envy of our neighbors BTW), EAIGF sponsorship, etc, etc.

> Now can we get a solution to this issue once and for all, then we can
> tackle KIXP.

???

Again, your glass is very, very full.  Only TZ has an rootserver, and then
only one, UIXP hasn't had an AGM in years, in fact, no one runs it, it's in
a corner of a stairwell in the basement of Comms House, (they do show agg
traffic tho http://uixp.co.ug/peerorder.htm), RINEX doesn't have a website
AFAICS, Sudan/Somalia no IXP at all.

--
Cheers,