[kictanet] ICANN Nom-Com overlooks Africans in 2009 Appointments

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Mon Aug 31 16:45:43 EAT 2009

Conrad is right. I am sorry I overlooked the ALAC position that went to
Dave. Indeed the position had been reserved for Africa.

And Nnenna is also right about competence being the key consideration.
The problem in Africa is that there is usually not an effective outreach
program ny Nom_Com, ICANN or even stakeholders to find well qualified
candidates. It is just lucky that ICANN rules reserve some slots for
Africa in pursuance of the Geographic Diversity requirements. All the
same we badly need more Africans in there. We need especially another
person on the Board beyond the diversity requirement.
Waudo