[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Benjamin Makai benmakai at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 14:00:31 EAT 2009

Dr Ndemo
Locally assembled PCs will eventually die and become eWaste
Branded foreign PCs will die and become eWaste
New mobile phones, TVs, hi-fi, kettles, fridges, A/Cs will all become eWaste

Kenya has no alternative but to build end-of-life recycling capacity for eWaste
GoK must legislate to ban eWaste dumping
GoK must legislate to promote and incentivaise local re-use of EEE
GoK must legislate to obligate WEEE recycling at end-of-life
GoK must insist that OEMs pay for all aspects of re-use and recycling as in Europe