[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Evans Ikua ikua at lpakenya.org
Mon Aug 31 13:54:38 EAT 2009

I have seen this discussion degenerate from used computers to dumped
computers. The two are worlds apart. I would call it dumping if you
get P1s and P2s. But for P3s and P4s that still have 3-5 years left in
them, thats not dumping.

> When the Kenya Government slapped a 25% duty on used computers, it was
> meant to encourage local assembly where we have done pretty well on the
> learning curve.

I think this is wrong. As far as I know, there is not much local
assembly going on currently. The clones that are assembled with parts
from China have a lesser lifespan than the used branded computers that
are sold in the market. Because the parts are of inferior quality -
which makes them affordable.

The point is, a new clone goes for 20 - 25k. A used P4 with
respectable specs goes for between 10 - 15k. The used P4 will mostly
have a longer lifespan than the clone because it has genuine and high
quality parts. So, if you are equipping a cyber/digital village/school
on a limited budget, which option would you go for?

> In any case, the cost of a donated computer amounts to between
> Ksh. 16,000 and 25,000.  This is pretty much what it cost assembling a new
> PC locally.

These figures are not right. Camara is now donating computers (P4s) at
5,000/= a piece. Just enough to cover the cost of shipping them in and
a few logistics. This would probably halve if there was no duty on
used computers.
Which then means that they would donate double the computers that they
are doing now. So much for putting hardware in the hands of the
population.
I dont see who would be donating computers for 20,000 yet in the shops
the price is 10,000.

They are also working on a method of taking back the computers and
replacing them at the end of their lifespan, to take care of the
environment.

What should be done is to ensure that used computers imported are only
of a certain age. This can easily be done through KEBS as there is a
requirement for inspection - Pre-shipment Verification of Conformity
(PVOC), before the computers leave their origin. Then we can say that
we can't accept importation of computer more than 5 years old for
instance.

The laptop I have been using for almost a year now came in as used. It
is clear to see that used computers have made a very big impact on the
local industry in terms of putting hardware in the hands of the
people. Instead of penalizing the poor, we should let market forces
determine what works best.

--
Evans Ikua
Linux Professional Association of Kenya