[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Bildad Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:26:05 EAT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Areba Collins wrote:
> I cant believe this, are you guys actually arguing that having no
> computer is better than having one that is old,

Personally, I am.
This is very debatable but if we can borrow a leaf from
say...Safaricom/ZTE 'green' cellphone powered by solar. I do not see
why an internet service provider cannot get into an SLA with a school
where he charges for internet but provides the hardware and software,
open, proprietary or otherwise for free....or at least charge a
reasonable amount for the hardware (just to kick the 'donations' off
equilibrium).

If u were following the Right Honourable's remarks today at the
National Economic and Social Council, he said that [sic] 'If
everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority'. So, in tandem,
in as much dumped computers help for a year or so, they are not really
long term and we can afford to sacrifice dumped computers and rein in
ISPs as alternative hardware providers if they want internet business.
Actually, maybe that's where part of the ICT Board World Bank money
should be going as they subsidize call centers. But we need
administrators with [those things] to make it happen.