[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Bildad Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 11:26:08 EAT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 8:12 AM, Victor Gathara wrote:

>  I am thinking here of donations of used computers that can
> make their way into the country through a regulated and monitored
> channel (such as ComputerAid) who will also have responsibility to
> ensure EOL disposal according to WEEE standards to prevent dumping of
> electronic waste.

Victor,
In your position, you know very well that these second had computers
are not donations. You can ask Tony Roberts how much he is paid to
dispose a computer from Barclays in UK, that eventually finds its way
to a school in Mau. And the Mau school pays for shipping and other
costs....but besides all these politics......DFID might consider to
fund a specific study comparing the final 'landed' cost of a dumped
computer versus a 'clone' assembled with new parts at Crescent
Technologies or JKUAT taking into consideration the kazi kwa vijana
created....if it has not been done already. PS. I am speaking as a
'contributor' to this mess here, because I also have problems
disposing my old computers and printers in the office. Most of the
times, its easier to take them to a school in shags that cannot afford
the electricity bills of running them...and... just live with the
guilt like everyone else despite being labeled as The Hero who brought
us computers.

One reason IBM sold its hardware unit was because Moores Law states
over time, the cost of hardware approaches zero and the cost of power
consumption and capacity of the hardware doubles every 18 months.
Thus, bringing 5 year old computers to Kenya only drains too much
power when we should strive to bring consumption per watt down. At
least, just based on power consumption alone, dumped computer should
never see the 'light of day' at the Kenyan port if locally assembled
computers will consume half of the wattage today....especially now
when everyone is striving to go green.

Google, for example, has watched its energy consumption almost double
during the past three generations of upgrades to its sprawling
computing infrastructure. It recently unveiled a major new datacenter
site in a remote part of Oregon, where power costs are a fraction of
those at Google's home base in Silicon Valley. But cheap power may not
be enough. Last year, Google engineer Luiz Andr� Barroso predicted
that energy costs would dwarf equipment costs -- "possibly by a large
margin" -- if power-hungry datacenters didn't mend their ways. Barroso
went on to warn that datacenters' growing appetite for power "could
have serious consequences for the overall affordability of computing,
not to mention the overall health of the planet."