[kictanet] Affordable computers

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Thu Aug 27 14:51:39 EAT 2009

Hi Evans

Used computers have an envrionmental cost from power consumption to the
quality of used computers being imported into the country.  The ugandan
government waived taxes on computers 3 years ago and today i buy my laptops
cheaper in kampala than i can get the same laptop in england.  The price of
a basic enrty level low power consumption CPU has come down to about $ 200.

On the other hand you were finding that people who need the technology most
were being hoodwinked to actually spend on second hand machines which were
retailing at about $ 100 to $ 150.  And then they inherit a higher cost of
ownership with machines which have low processing power, high power
consumption and a very short life.

All in all the ban is necessary to prevent the country from becoming a
dumping ground.  On the kenyan side i think the tax issue ensures that the
second hand machines that would be imported are actually of good quality.

>From an african perspective i think we do our people a disservice if we
accept those who need the services to be hoodwinked by these second hand
gifts which end up being a burden on our people.

Governments should actually creat a conducive environment for market forces
to bring down the cost of access to ICT.  The tax waiver for computers in
Uganda over the years has contributed to this we still have a long way to go
but i do beleive we are heading in the right direction.

regards