[kictanet] What you said about the undersea Cable-Jan 2007

Lucy Kimani lkimani at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 15:44:19 EAT 2009

Walu,

Wow, impressive, and I still stand by what I said and I bet I could earn a living reading "tea leaves"

Lucy K said the currently the regulator seemed to be more concerned with keeping the operators happy rather than looking out for the tax payer paying their salaries. In addition, the notion of an "independent" regulator was just but a theory, and
government interferes heavily in the Regulators operations.

She added that operators are eager to keep the status quo, but in the meantime try to
out do each other to steal, and or maintain the customer base. Meanwhile the government focuses on growing their tax base and hopefully looking to lower the bandwidth price in the process, but they end up being pulled in different directions by the various forces with the consumer being least in their priority.

Lucy Kimani said that Regulation is definitely required as even the big players of the west are regulated, in a capitalistic environment (read cut-throat) self-regulation
has not worked, and is sure a recipe for disaster.