[kictanet] 2nd Internet Governance Online Discussion Report

Solomon Mburu solo.mburu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:14:40 EAT 2009

Dear Walu,

I should commend your effort in consolidating our comments during the Online
Discussion Forum.

My comments, as I had addressed, were well captured.

Keep it up!

2009/8/11 Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com>

> Apologies, had send this earlier with the "wrong title" -guess I am not
> good at night-running on the web like Nyaki...
>
> Nway, Attached is the online discussion report on Internet Governance
> issues. Listers should confirm that their views were correctly captured
> before we meet in the upcoming .KE Internet Governance meeting.
>
> walu
>
> ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬Executive Summary Starts¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
>
> KICTANet commissioned the 2nd online discussion on Internet Governance,
> aiming to continue raising awareness of the global Internet Governance
> issues while reviewing corresponding country positions based on new
> developments. Specifically, discussions were centered around Infrastructure
> & Content Issues (Undersea Cable, ccTLDs, IXPs, IPv6), Cyber-Security
> (Consumer and Data Privacy, National Security Strategies) and
> Socio-economic issues (ePayment Platforms).
>
> The anticipated landing of several undersea cables on the East African
> Coast raised discussions on the impact (or lack of) these would have on
> Access, Affordability, Content and Quality of the Internet Service. It was
> felt that reliable and affordable last-mile (Local-Loop) solutions would
> need to be provisioned in order to realise affordable Internet Services. The
> current mobile (3G) service was welcome but not sufficient to
> drive down the costs as much as Fiber-To-The Homes (FTTH) and Fixed
> Wireless technologies would. In other words, International Bandwidth prices
> may drop but expensive last mile solutions would continue to justify high
> costs of Internet services – even with competition at both the local and
> international market layers.
>
> With regard to the Quality (Broadband) Issues, participants felt that
> Quality of the Services was subjective and an aspect of User expectations
> and Usage patterns. However, members agreed that Broadband Service was a
> factor of BOTH Reliability and Affordability. Providing reliable but
> expensive (exclusive) services would therefore fail the test of Broadband
> services. Furthermore, it was noted that most Service Providers
> gave poor contention-ratios on their uplinks to the Internet leading to
> highly degraded Internet services.
>
> The discussion on the management of the Country Code Top-Level Domain
> (ccTLD) was one-sided with most participants registering their reservation
> about the new law that required all second-level domain registrars to be
> licensed. This issue continues to remain cloudy particularly because the
> Regulator is yet to publish the regulatory details of how a split dot.KE
> registry would be managed as well as the criterion for applying, approving
> and revoking licenses.
>
> With respect to IPv6 some participants felt that it was not important while
> others warned that it was a threat in terms of missing opportunities that
> the next generation internet presents. The role of the Internet eXchange
> Point (IXP) was widely acknowledged and the Government departments
> [...]

Solomon Mburu
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the
same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!