[kictanet] Seacom goes live- wait for TEAMS

Onyango Hatari onyango at inbox.com
Sat Aug 1 14:36:30 EAT 2009

Alex, John and Joe

I think that we need to look deeper into this. The government of Kenya is still a shareholder in Safaricom and so I dont think that I dont have much say on Safaricom pricing since I am a shareholder privately and also through the government.

But when Safaricom doesnt even listen to its shareholders, its sickening. EASSY will be landing in April 2010 and will be switched on in June / July 2010. Now thats a looooooong time in IT and COmmunication world. For most techies, the problem in one single year is not most of the time the proble in the next year.

If Safaricom allow a penetration of another 20% through home broadband modems and they could even subsidise the Acer which goes for 19k and let it work with the modem. They would then help in distributing technology through their many distributors.

They can then normalise the price of the products after 5 months by slightly raising it. That way, Safaricom would have penetrated the market and completely dislodged competetion.

And another thing which Safaricom and Orange must address is that Kenyan currency doesnt expire and so why should all my money in Data bundle expire after 30 days. What should happen is that Safaricom should let the activation expire but the data bundle intact so that when I re-load, then I will get my data bundle which I didnt finish the other time.

But letting my bundly of 70MB expire every month is liek making me look like am living in Zim. My modem connection can expire yes but let me get my remaining bundle after I re-load/activate

OH