[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Revealing Security Holes vrs "The Rogue Tracker" type of stories

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:15:08 EAT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:07 AM, wesley kiriinya <kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I believe that the ICT bill makes it illegal for someone to reveal security
> holes in IT systems. However doesn't investigative journalism stories like
> the recent "
> The Rogue Tracker" reveal 'security holes'? So what makes that legal? If
> one was to discover a security hole in a system, then one can do their own
> investigative journalism then reveal everything about the security hole.
> I believe the tracking system is an IT system. And it seems a security hole
> was revealed. It's like saying half of the companies that claim to have
> installed a particular firewall might not really have the firewall
> installed.

Wesley,

You are trying to impose this analogy where it doesn't quite belong:-)
In the case of the tracking system, there was no security hole per se, but a
case of fraud. The tracking device was NOT installed. The case ends there.
Trying to see that as a "firewall that wasn't installed" is quite off
tangent, imho.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,