[kictanet] KEN Irema Cia Wendo: Gikuyu Movie on Africa Magic+ (DSTV)

Crystal Watley crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Tue Apr 14 17:07:51 EAT 2009

With all due respect, the problem with local content development has been
there has not been enough equipment and training available to the youth and
the lack of Internet connectivity impedes this growth. I always like to go
back to the examples of what I have seen in Likoni and Mombasa as I am in
the field daily. In this community there are 4 recording studios where local
artists make music. Where does this music go? Nowhere for the most part.
Why? Lack of Internet access. The same is true in many churches where choirs
perform. Why aren't we recording this? If we taught the youth how to use the
tools for content generation and gave them the ability to tap into the
enormous market on the Internet, it would change the youth of this
generation.

I would like to say that it is important that when we are focusing on what
the youth need we are interacting with them on the ground. The research
element of what the youth want and need has done been adequately done.
Living in the community, I have seen such potential and have been able to
teach computers skills to a number of youth both inside and outside the
classroom. Kenyan youth are bright and capable, but they lack opportunties.

BOTTOM LINE:

Given the tools and the Internet connection local content generation will
not be difficult. What is required is the economic and political will to
ensure that it happens. I pray that that will is there.

Many blessings,

Crystal
Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
http://www.voicesofafrica.org

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:

> This movie is an incredible initiative and we need to see more of this kind
> of thing. Content is king and will drive this market for the future.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
>
>> MW
>> You will be seeing more of these movies.  We are supporting a number of
>> youth groups in both filming and production.  We encourage them to use any
>> language they are confortable with.
>>
>> We shall get to view Kenya's first animated movie, Greedy Lords of the
>> Jungle, by Gatumia next month.  There several other initiatives in
>> animation.
>>
>> I need your contributtion towards our local content strategy that I shall
>> post on this forum next week.  We also shall post Broadcast regulations that
>> are key to development of local content.  Here we need your support in
>> pushing for at least 30% local content in all trestrial channels.
>>
>> Happy Easter.
>>
>> Ndemo
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry®

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley Kigoni
Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi