[kictanet] Parliament vote paves way for Single Telecoms Market in Europe

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Wed Sep 24 22:55:22 EAT 2008

Today the European Parliament in its plenary session voted on the
European Commission's proposals of November 2007 to reform the EU
Telecom rules, in place since 2003. The EU Telecoms Reform aims to
create a Single EU Telecoms Market with improved rights for consumers
and businesses by reinforcing competition and investment and boosting
the take-up of cross-border services and wireless high-speed broadband
for all.

"Today's vote is good news for European consumers," said Viviane
Reding, the EU Telecoms Commissioner. "The European Parliament has
today voted in favour of a strong and competitive Single Telecoms
Market without borders for cross-border services, competition and
investment in Europe. This will level the playing field for telecoms
operators in Europe, enhance legal certainty, and broaden consumer
choice."

"Yesterday, the European Commission had to propose new rules to bring
down the excessive prices of SMS and data roaming in the EU
(IP/08/1386). These proposals will provide a fast cure to one of the
most dramatic symptoms of the lack of a single telecoms market under
which European companies and consumers are suffering at the moment.
Today, the European Parliament has gone an important step further by
proposing to tackle once and for all the root of the problem: by
paving the way for a single market in regulatory terms.

"I welcome in particular the fact that, after an intense debate, the
European Parliament today voted in favour of establishing a European
telecoms regulator. Although the new body is smaller than proposed by
the Commission ? it will not have any responsibility for network
security, which I regret ? the Parliament's amendments have made sure
that the new European telecoms regulator will be fit for purpose,
namely to deal efficiently with the remaining business obstacles and
consumer problems in the single market. I welcome in particular that
Parliament has confirmed that the new body will be financed from the
EU budget in order to strengthen its independence and to ensure
equality among national regulators. The European Parliamentarians also
ensured that the new European telecoms regulator will be able to
operate independently in the interest of everyone in the EU while at
the same time being sufficiently close to the market. The proposal
that half of the European telecoms regulator's staff should be
seconded from national telecoms regulators, thus working alongside
experts which the new European body would recruit itself, is a very
constructive improvement on the Commission's initial proposal that I
fully support."

"Although work is still needed on the details, I support the
Parliament's proposal to modify the Article 7 procedure. By voting for
a system of 'checks and balances' Parliament ensures that measures
proposed by a national telecoms regulator ? like market analyses and
regulatory remedies ? cannot be adopted when called into question by
both the new European telecoms regulator and the European Commission.
In so doing, Parliament has found a sound compromise between
consistency and subsidiarity in the interest of an efficiently
functioning Single Market that I very much appreciate."

"I also thank Parliament for its strong support for greater
independence of national regulators. Independent national regulators
are the backbone of an efficient application of telecoms rules for
fair competition and tangible consumer benefits. Despite its
importance, in reality it cannot be taken for granted, as seen last
week with the surprisingly blunt interference with the independence of
the Romanian telecoms regulator."

"I strongly welcome the European Parliament's support for adding the
new remedy of functional separation ? which requires an incumbent
operator to separate its network infrastructure from its services
branch ? to the toolbox of national regulators. This last-resort
remedy has the capacity to rapidly improve competition in markets
while maintaining incentives for investment in new networks, as shown
in the UK where it has already been implemented. The Parliament's vote
will contribute legal certainty to countries where functional
separation is already under discussion, especially Sweden, Poland and
Greece."

"At the same time, the European Parliament has today opened new
opportunities for investment in high-speed fibre optical broadband
networks. The Parliament has confirmed and reinforced EU law on this
important matter. On the one hand, it has clearly rejected all calls
for 'regulatory holidays', as new monopolies would stifle competition
and investment into fibre. On the other hand, it wants telecoms
operators to receive a fair return on investment for allowing access
to new fibre optic networks, including a substantial risk premium. I
welcome this, and the Commission intends to give more detailed
regulatory guidance on such next generation access networks at the
beginning of next year." (IP/08/1370)

"Competition brings lower prices, better-quality services and more
choice, so consumers are the real winners in today's vote. Increased
transparency and information for consumers, better access to services
for users with disabilities, a more efficient 112 European emergency
number and number portability within one day ? all these Commission
proposals have received strong support in Parliament, for which I am
very grateful."

"Some important questions remain open. On number portability ? the
consumer's ability to change their fixed or mobile operator while
keeping their phone number ? I welcome the Parliament's overall
approach supporting the one-day limit proposed by the Commission. But
we need to ensure that the option now given to national regulators to
extend the period for number portability will not reduce the benefits
of a competitive market where consumers benefit from choosing
different operators when they make better offers."

"More will also have to be done on spectrum policy if we want to
attract investment to new wireless services in Europe. The
Commission's proposal to reform the management of radio spectrum
intends to facilitate the roll out of such services, especially high
speed wireless broadband connections that can reach less populated and
rural areas to help achieve 'Broadband for All' in Europe. I welcome
the support expressed by the European Parliament for more flexibility
and harmonisation in spectrum use, but I hope that even more ambitious
solutions can be agreed so that Europe gets the most efficient and
consistent management of spectrum possible in order to bring about
'Broadband for All Europeans'. I also support Parliament's intention
to increase its involvement in the EU's spectrum strategy, and will
continue to work with Parliament and Council to reach a satisfactory
solution that provides more certainty for forthcoming EU decisions on
distributing the so-called 'digital dividend' - the additional radio
spectrum made available as a result of the transition from analogue to
digital TV."

"I would like to thank the rapporteurs in the ITRE Committee,
Catherine Trautmann (France, PSE) and Pilar del Castillo Vera (Spain,
EPP-ED) and in the IMCO Committee, Malcolm Harbour (United Kingdom,
EPP-ED), for their constructive work. The Parliament's reports, as
adopted today by its plenary, are a very solid basis for its
negotiations with the Council of Telecoms Ministers."

"I will now continue working with the European Parliament and the
Council to ensure the adoption of the package before the end of this
Parliament's term in 2009. Agreement is needed if consumers are to be
adequately protected in a Single EU Telecoms Market and if operators
can expect Europe to offer them a level playing field for telecoms
investments."

Background:

The European Commission tabled its proposals for the reform of the
Telecoms Reform Package on 13 November 2007 (IP/07/1677). Before the
summer, the Council of Telecoms Ministers expressed its views on the
Commission proposals (MEMO/07/522, MEMO/08/384) and the European
Parliament debated the reform first at Committee level (MEMO/08/491)
and then during its plenary session on 2 September. Following today's
European Parliament vote, it is again up to the Telecoms Ministers to
give their views.

For further details, see

MEMO/08/551: EU Telecoms Reform: the 6 Most Important Issues Still Open

MEMO/08/552: EU Telecoms Reform: 7 Very Concrete Improvements for
European Consumers

Next steps:

27 November 2008: the Council could reach a first political agreement
on the EU Telecoms Reform.