[kictanet] Rwanda Gets Locally Made/Assembled Handset

Shem Ochuodho shemochuodho at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 17:25:25 EAT 2008

Dan,

Many thanks for sharing; seems somebody on KictaNet censors some of the mails, so I hadn't seen this one before.

Bw PS, it is very unfortunate for a senior govt official to make such statements about another sovereign state. Besides, I wonder why we must always be so defensive and abrasive. The same goes of some of the few handlers (clique?) on this list who have taken it upon themselves for whatever reason to talk for 'Govt'. Unless we can open up to constructive criticism, we'll continue to move in cycles - and not making any tangible progress. There is much Rwanda can learn from Kenya, and vice versa. That's not a weakness.

Privatization is NOT a panacea. Even if it was the yard-stick, Rwanda was perhaps the 1st African country to privatize 99% its telco. So, it beats me why we would say they are where Kenya was in the '80's while numerous indicators show to the contrary. It is true Rwanda's private sector is nascent, but that is not the same as saying it doesn't exist. Indeed, one of Kenya's strengths is the private sector, which in my view has happened 'not because of government, but in spite of it'. As some would agree, Kenya is indeed a sleeping giant; hopefully one day it's woken/wakes up. And btw, I laud Rwanda not for any self-interests, but just because there are many things they are doing right.

When the issue of absence of masterplan was raised on this space, you were very defensive; some even claiming there was one, abridged version, draft, etc. In the end it emerged there was none, and the Ministry instead selects a few of those handlers, takes them to Naivasha to work on a draft! One can't blame me when I use Kenya as case study of how not to implement national ICT programs for my audiences!

We can beat about the bush, but unless we address the real impediments to Kenya's growth, we won't go very far (or at least not as fast as we should). Otherwise, how else would places like Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, India, (where btw the State still has a major say), etc have left us behind so much when 40-50 years ago we were at per with many of them! Even for private sector/investment, unless we can genuinely address the main problems of: corruption and pilferage, crime and insecurity, depilated infrastructure, tribalism and nepotism, among others, we won't go far. And this is where we can/should be prepared to learn from others. Tanzania has done pretty well on ukabila; we could borrow a leaf. Rwanda has done pretty well on governance and (in)security. Let's borrow a leaf. Etc.

Continued grandstanding wouldn't take Kenya far. And I know some of these feats are beyond a single Ministry. But we could start somewhere. Doing piecemeal projects like we continue to do - well - can only have mixed results! In ICT, we see them scattered all over: BPO, Madaraka PC, KASNEB, FONN (or is it NOFBIN), etc. It is not wrong to do many projects, but for heaven's sake let there be a framework. Hopefully Naivasha came up with one. The difficulty now will be how to market it and gain buy-in of most (if not all), now that it has been like an exclusive club - just like Vision 2030 was (btw, does the media still know it exists)?

Warmest rgrds,
Shem