[kictanet] Software procurement in kenya

Evans Ikua ikua at lpakenya.org
Tue Sep 9 20:33:35 EAT 2008

Interesting what Google can come up with:

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/052308-kenya-linux-group-challenges-procurement.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

We finally got to meet with the PPOA on Friday, 5th September. We had
a very fruitful discussion on the Public Procurement and Disposal Act
2005, whose provisions are being ignored by Government procurement
agents:

https://ict-innovation.fossfa.net/taxonomy/blog-tags/kenya

This good law stipulates that procuring agents should not mention any
trade marks, companies or product names when requesting for
quotations. They are required to just give the specs of what they need
to accomplish. But how many times do we see these RFQs with brand
names such as Microsoft *?. This has got to stop and nobody has any
excuse to break the law with impunity.

We will be putting details of the proceedings on our website soon, and
also in the media.

--
Evans Ikua
Linux Professional Association of Kenya