[kictanet] Review, identify gaps and enhance the quality of the Certificate of ICT (CICT) qualification

kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 17:00:37 EAT 2008

The ICT Board's idea of "reviewing, identifying gaps, enhancing the
quality etc within KASNEB's CICT exam is very logical at a
glance. Unfortunately the approach reveals several ommissions and
commisions on the Board's part regarding the way in which it has handled one
of its most critical mandates - ICT education,professionalim and capacity
building. At the risk of sounding like one to whom money has being poured to
finish the ICT Board, I will (un) humbly make the following submissions:

1. Whereas the above partnership could have some merits, the Board must stop
loosing sight of the bigger picture. CICT is not the route to establishing
quality assurance within the ICT profession. An exhaustive exploration of
options including perspectives of other examining bodies must be considered.

2. The Board should engineer an original process on its own. Purporting to
audit the syllabus of a sister state corporation adversely projects the
attributes of the ICT Board and the entire ICT professional community - A
non starter running after KASNEB to offer solutions and do its job.Its
typical of a disorganized fellow who deserts his unkempt home only to go and
issue cooking orders to a neighbours wife.

3. Its critical that the Board institutes a research arm instead of relying
entirely on impromptu contibutions of stakeholders. Sitting in posh offices
along Waiyaki way to write recommendations to forward to KASNEB is a
doomed overture. One is tempted to conclude that the Board is short of
ideology and is at best a bother to other entities whose houses are in
order.

4. The Board must stop exploiting Kenyans in the name of pro bono (Voluntary
participation). Quality comes at a cost. Whereas most of us wouldn't mind
giving some hours to the cause of nation building, its both un African and
unscriptural to engage people numerously without any sense of consideration.
The ICT Board is not an NGO or ? What about your budget?

Kamotho Njenga
Lecturer, UON and
Chairman, ICT Association of Kenya (ICTAK)