[kictanet] Expensive software systems?

Liko Agosta likoa at verviant.com
Mon Sep 1 10:23:21 EAT 2008

My first post .

The scariest thing about these projects is that the "buyer" rarely knows
enough about technology to make a good call - especially recent technology .
This is the same all over . I continue to see it from our clients all over
the world .

if I was advising TSC, I would tell them it's much cheaper to pick an Open
source ERP package and hire a team to build . (Do they have a CTO ?)

With such a setup, TSC should be able to get a pretty good ROI . and results
. as opposed to the RFP way (In Kenya there is a biiiig gap between one man
shows and the major software vendors . let's call is a canyon . since it
feels like a lot of bigger projects fail there)

2500 staff and 230,000 members is a small system . that's like a system for
a small credit union.

Also, I know it sounds cool, but building a Kenyan ERP system may not be the
best use for money . its kinda like Nyayo Pioneer (no big market, no spares
. even Kenyans did not go for it in droves). why build when one can extend
an open source package or buy Oracle or SAP etc.

Liko Agosta, CEO

Verviant Consulting Services.

 <http://www.verviant.com> www.verviant.com

Phone    : 1-919-341-1820