[kictanet] Fwd: MAKE ICTs WORK FOR DEVELOPMENT - STAND UP NOW, TAKE ACTION TODAY!

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Fri Oct 17 03:22:28 EAT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Constance Georgina Khaendi Walyaro <constance at youthaidscoalition.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:10:43 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: MAKE ICTs WORK FOR DEVELOPMENT - STAND UP NOW, TAKE ACTION TODAY!
To: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>,
constancewalyaro at iypf.org, constance at top30under30.com,
connie at citronwoodfoundation.org, connie at htatke.org,
wainaina at madeinkenya.org, ednariechi at iypf.org

Poverty affects us all

'Today is the UN's official World Poverty Day. But every day is
poverty day for the two billion people worldwide who have less than
two dollars a day to live on. Of those, just under one billion live on
just one dollar a day.  In September 2000, 189 countries pledged to
halve the number of those in poverty by 2015. When we look at the
results so far, hope mixes with despair. Over 100 million children are
still unable to go to school. Each year, 10 million children die
before their 5th birthday. 40 million are living with HIV and AIDS,
and 5 million die of it each year.'17th Oct 2004 Hilary Benn, UK
Secretary of State for International Development

Today, nearly half of the world's people live in poverty, 70% are
women. 50,000 people still die daily as a result of extreme poverty,
and yet …..we have the power to change this.
www.standagainstpoverty.org

Last year, 43.7 million people around the world took part in the
biggest global mobilization to end poverty and inequality, and to
promote the Millennium Development Goals. This year, at a time of
global financial crises and food shortages, more than ever we need to
ACT together in order to send an even stronger message to push world
leaders for more and better aid, debt cancellation, education for all,
healthcare, trade justice, gender equality, public accountability and
an end to extreme poverty by 2015.

As the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty unfolds across
the world we're hoping to mobilize 1% of the global population - over
67 million people around the world to STAND UP and TAKE ACTION [17th -
19th Oct] against Poverty for the MDGs. Your actions count!

1. Tell your MP what you think: send SMS messages to the number 3454
with the word STAND UP.

2. Attend Global Gatherings: a series of parallel IYPF events held in
over 30 different countries focused on mobilizing and engaging young
professionals in activities and processes that are holding governments
and leaders accountable and contributing to the achievement of the
MDGs. www.iypf.org

3. Join Virtual Stand Up: log in from October 17th to 19th and
interact with the world on MDGs; build a more peaceful, equitable and
sustainable world. Facebook IYPF StandUp Global Gathering
www.iypf.org

We have the power and an obligation to make ICTs work for development!
 STAND UP NOW, TAKE ACTION TODAY, Make Poverty History!

Constance Georgina Khaendi Walyaro
Director, Chair FWG
International Young Professionals Foundation
constancewalyaro at iypf.org
www.iypf.org

Wainaina P. Mungai
Make in Kenya Network
wainaina at madeinkenya.org
www.madeinkenya.org

StandUp is an initiative of the Make Poverty History and Global Call
to Action Against Poverty (GCAP) campaigns. IYPF is a GCAP Global
Mobilization Partner. www.makepovertyhistory.org

Sent from my mobile device

Made in Kenya Network
Apt. B-8, Elite Park