[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Re: PS Ndemo, ECONET Scandal aand Vested Interests

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Fri Oct 10 18:38:36 EAT 2008

Dear Peterson,

I go with you on the wheel that the vested interest of the country in
paramount.....

The elements of my case though disappointing, i went with the
established criteria since was applied across board but then in the
situation where most of the local companies are majority owned by non-
Africans, then one needs to look into the criteria again.

The larger question, we need to raise is how do we ensure that the
interest of other African investors can be unheld in another African
jurisdiction, in the context of developing Africa by Africans. You
know the TEAMS process is still ongoing so lets allow the establish
procedures and policies to work, am patient and dont have any hard
feelings at all.

The other big question that we need to answer is, these huge
infrastructure projects require huge sums of money, personally am not
a deep pocket in that sense but at least i can raise the money, may
be from another African country or worse case outside the continent
if the amounts are way over. The TEAMS model where public funds are
used to underwrite the risk in order to ensure that the entry
barriers for investment are  minimised so local investors and
entrepreneurs can participate are innovative and i personally want to
give the TEAMS model a chance to succeed. We as Africans need to
evolve solutions to our unique problems, ofcourse borrowing in same
cases from others who have gone ahead.

Unfortunately, i would have to distant myself from some of the
allegations though you establish them on factual basis, it would be
good for the right authorities to follow it through so that we have
conclusive situations. Also, those involved must be given a chance to
present their side of the argument so that those in this forum can be
more knowledgable. Again, if we can keep it tactful, then the common
good is preserved for the sake of posterity.

Have a good weekend, good people.

On 10 Oct 2008, at 20:16, mwananchi at hushmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>> appending
>>> his signature to documents that favour Libyans amongst other
>>> foreigners that undermine Wananchi while holding a public office
>>> that demands maintaining public trust and protecting public
>>> interest?
>>> http://www.eastandard.net/InsidePage.php?id=1143990641&cid=4
>>>
>>> The Law regarding Acting on behalf of foreigners interests:
>>>
>> http://www.kenyalaw.org/kenyalaw/klr_app/view_content.php?ContentHi
>>> toryID=12838
>>>
>>> Why is PS Ndemo purporting to fix what is not broken? Kenya
>>> recorded a 1330% increase in FDI in 2007, perhaps PS Ndemo could
>> be
>>> excused for the oversight at the time of his arbitrary
>>> pronouncement. Surely something must be working right..
>>>
>>>   http://africa.reuters.com/country/TZ/news/usnLO172755.html
>>>   The report showed that FDI to Kenya rose to $728 million in
>>>   2007 compared with $51 million in the previous year, a rise
>>>   of close to 1,330 percent. "Kenya's FDI increased due to
>>>   large privatisation sales in the telecommunications industry
>>>   and investment in railways," Naiko said.
>>>
>>> The Econet sham has been misused repeatedly by PS Ndemo as the
>>> reason for his rationale in first reducing local shareholding
>>> requirements from 30%, down to 20% and now to his envisioned
>> ZERO%.
>>> Instead of looking at the root cause of the matter which are
>>> unfavorable policies towards local investors, a hostile lending
>>> environment towards startups, poor vetting, poor tendering
>>> procedures, poor due diligence and irregularities by the
>> regulator
>>> and reforming those, he appears keen to lambast and blame
>> anything
>>> and everything else on Wananchi rather than address the root
>> causes
>>> by instituting and promoting professional changes and
>> improvements
>>> in the afflicted public institutions. Indeed how did bankrupt
>> KNFC
>>> and Econet meet the US$100m threshhold of turnover for tendering
>>> when Deloitte and Touche audited accounts show Econet's largest
>>> operation (before they were bundled out of Nigeria for not
>> having
>>> paid for their shares) having a turnover then of a mere US$8
>>> million and KNFC's total assets valued at Ksh 20million as of
>> 2006?
>>> The poor financials and the exercise of due care in conducting
>> due
>>> diligence by the regulator are the reasons why the licence fee
>>> could not be paid to the GK within the proscribed period and it
>> has
>>> nothing to do with the vast majority of local investors whom
>> Ndemo
>>> is trying to vilify. PS Ndemo and Treasury should let the public
>>> know if Econet has forfeited and paid in full its US$1.3 million
>>> bid bond to the exchequer for failure to pay the licence fees in

>>> Miscellaneous:
>>> http://rapidshare.com/files/152242138/NjiriSA.pdf

emko at internetresearch.com.gh