[kictanet] Local Content & Piracy

smwngi at gmail.com smwngi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 08:51:00 EAT 2008

Good Morning All.
	There has been major debating on what local content it & is not. When content is delivered the providers/developers of the content have financial gains they are anticipating for all there efforts.
What am I getting at? There has been  major piracy violations of applications when you look at the African market. How can we as a community help reduce this?
	1) Being more respectful of copyrights. Pay for what you use.
	2) Ensuring that we self police when it comes to content.

Am sure there are other ways that can be used but let begin with those & grow from there.
Many developers I have meet have serious issues when it comes to collecting payments for software they just developed. This is not just wrong. Its illegal to use software you haven't paid for. The problem doesn't end there it goes on to other softwares where techies are asked to look for software cracks. Corporations like Microsoft, Intuit to name afew have been violated locally. Ask yourself if we are doing this to others then why wouldn't they do it to us? Due to piracy companies are spending more developing security feature to prevent piracy then to enhance the application.
	What should we do as users of software to reduce this.
	1)As business people what are we going to do for ourselves to prevent this?
	2) What measures are law makers going to do to assist in this?
	3)Whislte blowers are needed to report those who violate.
	4)Online List of shame

Stephen Mwangi